Jensen Family
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
What do you think?
Which whole family health insurance would you choose? Our premiums are before-tax deductions, so saving money is good, but it will then become taxable income. Currently we are with Kaiser.
Deseret Premium: $710/month 90%/10%, small copays, pretty good coverage
Kasier: $501/month (this is going up by $16 from last year) small copays and nearly everything else is covered 100%)
Deseret Value: $80/month 70%/30%, small copays, decent coverage
We can also get a Flex Spending Account with pre-tax dollars to help with copays and prescriptions. We could be saving more than $400 per month in insurance premiums just by lowering our coverage a little. However, I was glad we had such great coverage this last year since I was in the hospital so much and had surgery. But I think we have it under control now. Even if we ended up spending a lot on medical stuff, we would still be okay since the out of pocket maximum is $4000 and we would save $4800 (from not being with Kaiser) during the year with Deseret Value. I am really leaning toward DV so we can have a little extra money in our pockets to pay down Jeremy's student loans. It will only be for a year. We can re-enroll in Kaiser at the end of next year if we feel like we didn't have enough coverage. Oy, I hate having to make adult decisions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I struggle so much with these questions that I just give up and decide to stay where we are. I would choose DV in this stituation though. It def seems like the winner. What is the out of pocket max with Kaiser? I so HATE the cost of health insurance.
After working on an office where I am the one calling on benefits for the patients, and then after learning everything, well...okay not everything because sometimes I have no clue what it is meaning, I can tell you that a high deductible amount is very hard to pay for most people, especially when EVERYONE is required to pay the deductible first before having any kind of treatment. After seeing everyone's plans and hearing what they pay and what the insurance pays I would get a plan with a copay not a coinsurance. I personally would rather pay a bigger amount monthly than have a high deductible and high copay/coinsurance because the copays/coinsurance sometimse adds up to be more than the actual deductible can be. And I would NEVER get an HMO plan. Those things pay hardly anything. I have alot of do's and dont's when it comes to insurance now that I have to work with it everyday. I know some people would rather get the plan that you have to pay the least amount of money monthly to keep the insurance but you never know when soemthing big will happen and you will really need it...especially when you have 3 little kiddos. Just my opinion though. So I can't really tell you which of the above plans to do because I don't know the deductibles, out of pockets, coinsurance/copay rates, and if you have to go to specific providers. :)
Post a Comment