Jensen Family

Jensen Family

Monday, November 26, 2012

Fuzzy Math

It's the most wonderful time of the year--for credit card companies. Didn't get a statement from Kohl's, therefore I forgot to pay off my recent charge of $34. It consequently had a $8.55 late fee tacked on. I called to ask for the late fee to be removed and to pay my $34 bill in full. Because I have a great payment history, they were more than happy to take off the fee as long as I agreed to pay the bill in full over the phone right now. Sure, no problem. Then, the service rep says that there will be a $10 processing fee for me to be able to pay the bill over the phone. What?! They just took off $8.55 in late fees only to add on $10 in processing fees because I HAVE to pay over the phone right now?!! I calmly explained a little math to him and asked how this equation could possibly benefit me. He was quiet for a minute, then said, "You're absolutely right, ma'am. That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm gonna dismiss the late fee and the processing fee and just charge what you owe--$34." Thank you! Happy holidays to everyone, and remember to spend wisely and pay off your credit purchases pronto! :)

No comments: